Much of QTA’s promotional effort is targeted at the international travel trade, in recognition of the vital contribution that overseas tour operators, travel agents and other industry professionals make as partners in promoting the destination in their respective markets.
QTA employs a promotional mix of activities to reach the international travel trade. These include:
- Exhibition participation: QTA takes part in the leading annual leisure tourism events (e.g. ITB, World Travel Market etc.) in key markets globally and specialist exhibitions focusing on the MICE/business events sector. QTA exhibits alongside a delegation of private sector industry stakeholders, which include hotels, ground handlers and other hospitality suppliers, ensuring a comprehensive representation from Qatar’s tourism sector. Strong branding, impressive stand design and an emphasis on Qatar’s cultural heritage (e.g. the presence of falconers, calligraphers etc.) ensure a high profile for the destination at these exhibitions.
- Presentations, workshops, sales visits: QTA and its international representatives actively market and sell Qatar to the international travel trade on a face-to-face basis, either independently or in association with stakeholders. These promotions range from one-on-one sales visits targeting buyers to in-house destination training days for the front line sales staff of tour operator partners. Larger scale promotions may involve inviting travel professionals from multiple companies to an evening that combines presentation, workshop session and cultural displays.
- ‘Tawash’ online destination training: QTA is actively building up a strong body of enthusiastic and knowledgeable Qatar tourism ‘ambassadors’ via its online training course for international travel agency staff. This programme has been highly successful in recruiting and educating increasing numbers of travel professional in key global markets.
- Trade familiarization visits: QTA and its stakeholder partners invite representatives of the international travel trade to visit Qatar for a first-hand personal experience of the destination. Visit itineraries ensure the visitor or delegation has direct exposure to a wide range of Qatar’s attractions and tourist activities.
- Other promotions: QTA’s international representatives maintain close liaison with the international travel trade on an on-going basis, taking part in joint campaigns, promotions and initiatives as the opportunity arises. Important travel trade contacts are invited to attend Qatar-sponsored events (e.g. Paris Saint-Germain football matches, the Goodwood racing festival etc.) to build relationships.